Music has always played a massive part of my life, i have worked in a music shop for over 10 years so it has acted as a soundtrack for some of my most impact I’ve moments. Here’s 10 of the songs that are important to me.
- Lorde- Royals, this was the number one song in the charts when my daughter Tilly Mae was born. It was played everywhere at the time and will always remind me of that moment of my life.
- Hozier – Take me to church. This was the song I walked down the aisle to on my wedding day. The words are so impactive to me, it still makes me emotional when I hear it.
- Daddy Yankee – Gasolina. This reggaton hit never fails to make me smile and dance. It makes me think of amazing times of drinking rum (run Thursday) with my friend JBaz. We always have the most fun when we hang out.
- Lady Gaga – poker face. This song along with the whole ‘monster’ album reminds me of going to Japan. I was so shocked that she was unknown when I went to Tokyo and while I was there here career really took off and all of the clubs played it.
- Prince – Purple Rain. This isn’t particularly my favourite Prince song (I’m a huge fan) but it was the song that first introduced me to the little purple one. It’s also Tilly’s favourite, it warms my heart everytime she hears the first cord of the guitar and her little face lights up. It was a pivotal moment to see him play this when I saw him live at the 02 arena in London.
- The Contours – Do you love me. I love every song from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack but this one was also mine and my husbands first dance on our big day. We even had a little dance routine, which of you know my husband was a massive fear overcome.
- John Legend -Refuge. This reminds me of a really hard time in my life and it the words were so important to me when I really needed to be strong.
- Coyote Shivers – Sugarhigh. From one of my favourite ever movies Empire Records, like one of the plot lines I always wanted to be a singer but never had the guts to stand up and sing In front of people, after a conversation with a friend a few days ago it looks like this is closer to a reality than I thought.
- Paul Simon- father and daughter. This songs lyrics always make me think of my relationship with my dad. I am and always have been a daddy’s girl, tears me up every time.
- Mary Mary – Shackles (Praise you). This song takes me back to a time in life when I lived in my first own home. The specific memory it’s tied to is of me walking home from my job at HMV silverlink and the weather was warm and I never wanted it to end. I always go back there when I hear it.
I love that music pin points us to such feelings and emotions, that take us to the best and worst moments of life . Life for me wouldn’t be the same without music it was harder to choose the music to go in our wedding than it was choosing my dress.
These songs are not songs that I listen to all the time nor are they all songs I would particularly listen to if I was stranded on a desert island but they are 10 that mean something to me personally, they have become part of the fabric of my life timeline.
Do you have songs that have changed your life or stir up certain memories? I would love to hear about them.
Signing off with love and lipstick,